Monday, September 6, 2010

Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings

If you love Chicken and Dumplings but don't want to stand over a stove stirring the dumplings forever, then this is the recipe for you! It's very easy. I got a recipe similiar to this from a friend but added my own touch to make it taste like my Granny's Chicken and Dumplings that my family loves so much.

4 boneless,skinless chicken breasts
2cans cream of chicken soup
1/2 stick of butter(do NOT be a wimp, add the butter. It prevents dumplings from sticking and makes it taste good. STOP thinking about the added fat, It's chicken and dumplings for crying out loud)
1 onion chopped
3 (10 oz)cans refrigerated biscuits. Tear in half and roll into a ball.

Seasonings: salt, pepper, oregano, sage, poultry seasoning, celery seed or flakes(whichever you have is fine).

I do not measure the seasonings, I go by the way it looks and smells lol. I've been making Chicken and Dumplings for a while (Just like my Granny use to) so I don't need no stinkin' measuring spoon lol.

Place the chicken, butter, soup, and onion in the crock pot and fill w/enough water to cover the chicken. I usually add some of my seasonings here. Do not add all of them, just enough to start seasoning the chicken and broth that it will make.  Cover and cook for 4-5hrs. I start this at like 11AM. Remove chicken from broth and cut pieces or shred it w/fork. Whichever way you like it is fine. I do this around 3-3:30PM. Tear your biscuits in half and roll into balls. Add to broth and stir w/spoon. Add the rest of your seasonings here. Go by smell and taste the broth if you want. I just go by the way it smells and looks, but I have done this a few times ;)  Once all biscuits are in crock pot, stir every once in a while so biscuits will not stick together. Otherwise, you may be like my poor poor Aunt Katie. The very 1st time she made Chicken and Dumplings, she didn't stir(she did hers on the stove) and she had ONE BIG DUMPLING ;) So folks, point is, you will not have to stand over stove to stir these but you will need to stir once in a while. Cook for another 3-4 hrs. Dumplings need to be cooked and not doughy. When you first add them, they will swell up, this is totally normal. I have to say, that this is JUST AS GOOD as cooking them on the stove. We had them the other night and I baked some Sweet Potatoes w/it. It was lip smacking good y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment