Friday, September 18, 2009

Risotto


This is one of my favorite side dishes. Everyone thinks it's so hard to make Risotto, but I am telling you, it's not. It's simple and after it's done, you'll be glad you made it, I promise. It's soooooo good.

1C Arborio Rice
2 TBSP unsalted butter
1 large onion, chopped
1 tsp garlic salt(I use garlic powder)
1/2 C dry white wine
3 C hot chicken broth(I like chicken stock better)
3/4C Parmesan cheese, grated
freshly ground pepper

In a heavy saucepan,saute rice in 1 TBSP butter,stirring constantly.






Add onion and garlic. Saute until onion is tender. Add wine and saute until absorbed.





Slowly add 1 C hot broth, stirring frequently. As the liquid cooks down,continue to add remainder of hot broth,1/2C at a time, until all the broth is used and mixture is very creamy. Fold in the cheese,pepper and remaining butter. Serve immediately.



Now, I like using Garlic powder better than the garlic salt. I like to control my salt. I also like the flavor of chicken stock better than broth. As for the wine, you don't have to use an expensive bottle. I used what I had left in a bottle that I like to drink. However, if you don't like wine, you can buy a $3 bottle just for cooking. DO NOT buy the kind at grocery stores that are in the vinegar aisle. They are loaded w/sodium. You can add many things to risotto. Asparagus, mushrooms,pumpkin,butternut squash.....the list goes on and on.
Also, you don't have to use wine at all. If you don't like it, just use extra chicken broth/stock.

No comments:

Post a Comment