Monday, September 14, 2009

Homemade Hush Puppies


Today, I decided that I wanted some catfish for dinner. I coated it in breading and put it in the oven b/c we all know that fried is BAD lol. Then I went out to the deep freezer for my frozen bag of hush puppies that I buy at Sams. THERE WERE NOT ANY IN THERE. ohhh no. So, off I go looking in my cookbooks for a good recipe. It never fails. If I need a recipe for something, something basic like Hush puppies, I find it in my Better Homes and Gardens cookbook. This thing is falling apart lol.

Here's the recipe and my adjustments


1C cornmeal
1/4C all purpose flour
2 tsp sugar
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/4tsp baking soda
1/4tsp salt
1 egg beaten
1/2C buttermilk or sour milk
1/4C sliced green onions
cooking oil

In a medium bowl,combine cornmeal,flour,sugar,baking powder,baking soda,and salt. Make a well in center and set aside.
In another bowl combine egg,buttermilk and green onions. This is where I changed it a bit. I didn't have buttermilk. SO there is a recipe on how to get sour milk:

For every ONE cup of regular milk add ONE tbsp lemon juice or vinegar. Stir and let set for 5min. This recipe calls for 1/2C buttermilk so I used 1/2Tbsp on vinegar in skim milk. Remember buttermilk is actually LOW FAT!

I also didn't have green onions but remember that my granny use to use white onions so that's what I used b/c her hush puppies were always GOOD. I also added freshly ground black pepper which the recipe didn't call for but I thought it was needed haha.
Stir til moistened(batter should be lumpy).

Drop batter my tablespoons into deep, hot oil. Fry about 3min or til golden brown. Drain on paper towels and serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment