Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Italian Jambalaya

I got this recipe from a friend,  Heather who loved this recipe so much she shared it w/me. She received the recipe from her mom who got the recipe from a
2008 Southern Living Annual -December 
 




1 lb. Italian sausage, casing removed
2 skinned boneless chicken breasts, coursely chopped apx. 1 lb.
2 boneless center cut pork chops, chopped apx. 1 lb.
1 onion diced
1 green pepper diced
1 red pepper diced
several stalks celery chopped
3 cloves garlic minced
1 Tbsp dried Italian seasoning
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 ten oz cans diced tomatoes with green chilies
1 six oz can tomato paste
light beer or White Wine(if needed)

Brown sausage in Dutch oven over medium high heat, stiring often, 5 minutes or until sausage crumbles and is no longer pink. Remove sausage using a slotted spoon, leaving the drippings. I had to add some EVOO here bc my sausage didn't have enough fat. Cook chicken and pork in sausage drippings over medium high heat, stirring 4-5 minutes or until brown on all sides. At this point, the bottom of my pan had the "gunk" on it so I deglazed my pan. I would suggest using a light beer or white wine here.  Add onion, peppers and celery and saute for 5 minutes. Stir in diced tomatoes and green chilies, tomatoe paste, 1/4 cup water, Italian sausage and all seasonings. Cover and reduce heat to low, stirring often for 20 minutes.

Stir in hot cooked orzo just before serving or serve over pasta or rice.

I served ours over rice that had Saffron in it. I love Saffron yum yum.  My husband enjoyed it quite a bit I'd say,his bowl was clean :)

No comments:

Post a Comment